Many of us depend on natural gas to warm our homes, cook our food and heat our water-it is a clean, dependable natural resource. It can, however, be a safety hazard. Take the time to read how you can reduce the risk of natural gas accidents.
If you smell gas in your home, it is important to take action right away. Gas leaks can be dangerous and even life-threatening. In this blog post, we will discuss the common reasons why you might have a gas leak in your home. We will also provide tips on how to fix the problem and keep your family safe!
What Causes Gas Leak?
There are many ways gas can leak in your home. A malfunctioning stove igniter, a blown pilot light in a gas fireplace. All can lead to a dangerous buildup of gas – and it doesn’t take much.
There are many different reasons why you might have a gas leak in your home. Here are some of the most common causes:
- Your appliances are not properly maintained: If you don’t regularly maintain your gas appliances, they can develop leaks over time. Make sure to check your appliances regularly for any signs of leaks.
- Your home has an old or outdated gas system: If your home has an old or outdated gas system, it is more likely to develop leaks. You should have your gas system inspected by a professional every few years to make sure it is in good condition.
- There are cracks in your pipes: Cracks in your pipes can cause gas to leak into your home. If you suspect there are cracks in your pipes, you should have them inspected by a professional.
- Your gas meter is damaged: If your gas meter is damaged, it can cause gas to leak into your home. You should have your gas meter inspected by a professional every few years to make sure it is in good condition.
Safety is our highest priority. Follow these safety tips to keep yourself and your family safe.
- Never use a flashlight, match or candle to look for gas leaks, and never turn electric switches on or off if you suspect a gas leak.
- Do not store flammable materials such as mops, brooms, laundry and newspapers near your water heater, furnace, oven, range or any gas appliance.
- Do not store combustible materials such as paints, solvents and gasoline in the same room as your water heater, furnace, oven, range or any gas appliance.
- Stock your kitchen with a fire extinguisher.
- If a pilot light is out, shut off the gas at the appliance gas shutoff valve. Wait five minutes to let gas disperse before trying to relight the appliance pilot light.
- Keep an adjustable pipe or crescent wrench or other similar tool near your main shutoff valve so you don’t have to search for one in times of emergency.