Living in California has a lot of perks, but your water bill isn’t one of them. Everybody wants to do their best to save water (especially when we’re in a drought}, but that can be easier said than done. With hot weather right around the corner, this issue will only get more important.
Here are some ways you can save on your water bill:
- Replace your current toilet and shower head with energy saving/low flow models which use less than half the water as older standard models.
- Replace your toilet flapper each year as they tend to wear down quickly.
- Repair any leaking faucets and check toilet for leaks.
- Have outside sprinklers on a timer to control amount of water released – also make sure sprinklers are only hitting plants and lawn and not being wasted by soaking the driveway!
- Cut your water usages in half by showering for five minutes instead of taking a bath.
- Turn the water off while shaving and brushing teeth – you’d be surprised to see how much water that saves!
- Put buckets outside to collect rain water to use for watering plants – they love rain water!
- Place ice cubes on hanging plants so they have a chance to soak up all the water and prevent overflow from watering and it won’t create over flow spillage from watering too fast.
- When boiling water for cooking use the right size pot and make sure to only include the amount of water required.
- Replace grass with shrubs and trees that require less water.
Whenever you try to save water, remember that every small thing you do can have a large effect. Instead of following 1-2 of these things strictly, pick 4-5 that you can do with much less intensity. It will make your life much easier!