Many of us depend on natural gas to warm our homes, cook our food and heat our water-it is a clean, dependable natural resource. It can, however, be a safety hazard. Take the time to read how you can reduce the risk of natural gas accidents.
There are many ways gas can leak in your home ? a malfunctioning stove igniter, a blown pilot light in a gas fireplace. All can lead to a dangerous buildup of gas – and it doesn’t take much.
Safety is our highest priority. Follow these safety tips to keep yourself and your family safe.
- Never use a flashlight, match or candle to look for gas leaks, and never turn electric switches on or off if you suspect a gas leak.
- Do not store flammable materials such as mops, brooms, laundry and newspapers near your water heater, furnace, oven, range or any gas appliance.
- Do not store combustible materials such as paints, solvents and gasoline in the same room as your water heater, furnace, oven, range or any gas appliance.
- Stock your kitchen with a fire extinguisher.
- If a pilot light is out, shut off the gas at the appliance gas shutoff valve. Wait five minutes to let gas disperse before trying to relight the appliance pilot light.
- Keep an adjustable pipe or crescent wrench or other similar tool near your main shutoff valve so you don’t have to search for one in times of emergency.